History

Print

Rushbrookes TailoringThe story of Ampthill Antiques Emporium dates back to Victorian times when the Rushbrooke family opened their department store in Ampthill. In the early 20th century it changed its name to Pecks and traded successfully until 1979 when the store was closed. Mr Reg Bradley acquired the shop and opened the Emporium selling the premises later to Marc Legg. The business now flourishes as an antique emporium offering much that was available at the outset of the Rushbrooke dream.

Marc Legg has gone to enormous lengths to rescue the building from neglect and seriously advancing decay so that it now forms a key feature in the newly restored Bedford Street.

It is an amusing thought that some new furniture bought here in the early 1900's by young couples setting up home is now being sold from the same premises as antiques for purchase by contemporary buyers looking for the same style, quality and value.